Sunday, February 21, 2010

Reading Reflection 4: Groupwork ch. 4-5

From Chapter 4 from the Cohen book, I found the section "Prevention of Dominance" to be the most interesting to me. Partly because I am so outspoken and tend to be the one who speaks the most and dominates groupwork, and also because it was an obvious obstacle in the groupwork I assigned at my first school site.
The section talks about Morris's 4 rules for effective group discussion. 1) Say your own ideas, 2)Listen to others; give everyone a chance to talk, 3) Ask others for their ideas, and 4)Give reasons for your ideas and discuss many different ideas. After a certain amount of time in the groups, the teacher should stop and ask the groups to evaluate if they have been practicing all of the above suggestions. The author also suggests assigning a group monitor to report to the class the behaviors they observed, and lead a class discussion on the effectiveness of the groupwork. It also suggests keeping those rules displayed in the classroom at all times so that students can easily remember them.
I think that dominance by certain students in group work is very prevalent and hard to control. These are some good ideas, and I've heard other ideas before on the subject. It is especially important to remember these things in a very diverse school setting, where some students are native English speakers, and some are not. Getting all of the students, regardless of their abilities in the English language to participate, is vitally important for enriching the education of all the students in my classroom.
I would love to hear more about how to make groupwork more democratic in our classrooms.

1 comment:

  1. I think one of the group work activities you do with Joe is meant to bring out these qualities. There is one in the DG book appendix. We talked some about the role of an observer in groupwork last week. Remember, if the goal is to teach new behaviors, and you value that debrief time (metacognition), then I think that observer plays an important role! For the class' learning and for their own.

    ReplyDelete