Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Reading Reflection 1- Rethinking High School

When reading the first chapter about this new school in Chicago my first thought is, "Wow, this sounds excellent!" But like most things, I like to have a healthy and modest skepticism about things that sound too good to be true. I think what resonated most with me was this schools desire to make kids feel like the school cares about them, is relevant and important to their lives and development as working citizens, and doesn't classify or "track" them. I think that this sort of atmosphere should be fought for on every school campus, not just the high schools that are given some academic freedom. Teachers should strive to give students this kind of environment on a school campus, knowing that it will affect the students engagement, participation, and achievement in their education.
I think one of the reforms that I was less keen on was the "House" system of organizing students. I remember in high school that whenever a decision arose about where to go for lunch, what classes to take, or whether or not I did honors depended on how many friends were doing the same. It's fair to say that with choices like these it would be very difficult to keep students from just being followers of friends, and not interactive and entrepreneurial citizens.
I noticed that just like "Second to None", teachers were expected to be very flexible with their schedules. Teachers at these schools have to be all-stars at what they do, and be willing to put in long hours and display incredible flexibility and versatility. That will be my role as a teacher, whether in a school like this or not.
I would like to learn more about how these students did once they got to college. Because colleges are structured more to teach to public high school students, and work with traditional schools' graduates, how would these students from a school like this do in a college classroom? Is their ability to think critically and problem solve enough to get them through a notes and lecture class in college?

1 comment:

  1. You make a very good point about following friends. You are very right about what kids do in school, I sure had similar decision-making priorities as well. As a skeptic also, maybe it was that we were exaggeratingly influenced by friends because of the structure of the school we were in...
    It is a good question about college. And again, my devil's advocate asks--but should that concern be worth the lessened (?) education of all students in the HS. ?

    ReplyDelete