Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Reading Reflection 6- Tim Woolston: Change Agent

Teachers are some of the most important figures in a society. That's why they are always targeted when a dictatorship or strict regime is trying to take control of a country. We are the ones who will persuade students and influence them the most in life, outside of their own parents.
It's an important duty of each and every teacher to be mindful of issues of social justice, and agents of change in our classrooms. This means, not just having posters that foster safety in our classroom, and respect, but addressing those issues in the textbook. I want to be the teacher that talks about who Columbus really was, what actually happened to all the Indians in America, and the darker side of history. It's a shame to see such heroifying of all historical figures, and leaves a doubt in students minds that they can live up to those patriotic and perfect examples they left. Many of them were hypocrites, biggots, and sexist, yet they are still our heroes. I think as a history teacher I want to ensure that my students know enough of the real story to decide for themselves what they think of these figures. It's also my job to ensure that I bring to light the people groups that history has marginalized as well, and give them their due time.

I think the paragraph I liked the most was the one that talked about teachers having lives outside of the classroom, and that that is what will stave off becoming burdened by teaching. I couldn't agree more! Teaching is an awesome profession, but not my life. It is a way of life, but not my whole focus. I have so much aspiration about traveling, learning more, and experiencing as much of life as I can. In order to do this I will need to have a moderate balance of work and life. I think this will keep me from becoming "burned out" and will continue to provide me with energy to teach for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment